Okay, so this isn't really a 'recycle' project but it did use up things from my stash and allow me to play with ATCs, which I love. There is so much artistic freedom in a 3.5"x2.5" space.
This is my final swap (at least until late fall) for this year. Our Sho-Me-Mo-Rubber stamping loop has been hostessing a rotation of ATC swaps and I can't resist them. This one was to incorporate a 'sewing' theme. First off, have you noticed how much sewing is creeping into the scrapbooking/ stamping area lately? Take a look at the new line by Jolee's called 'French General Collection'. If you have a love affair with all things vintage you will LOVE this new collection. It was really hard to resist all the scrumptious new goodies on the Michaels display last weekend. Recollections has also brought out a line of embellishments along the same lines.
I knew when I heard the theme for this swap I wanted to play. When I'm not writing or stamping, I'm in the sewing room and I have a wide assortment of stuff perfect for this round. The first stamp set I found was from TPC Studios - a division of The Paper Company. A nice collection of sewing-themed stamps. Then while I was in the Michaels in Paducah KY last week I came across a new collection of clear stamps (packaged like Studio G but avg around $2.99 in price). It's Cosmo Cricket stamps from Hampton Art.
I only needed 9 for the swap but I always make my ATCs in sets of 12. I keep #1 and any extras are for sharing/ trading. Here is a picture of all 12.
And a close-up shot of a single so you can see more of the details.
For this group I stuck with a 'vintage' theme and reached for those reproduction 1940s fabrics I got at the quilt shop hop last fall. I used a different print on each of the 12 ATCs. Then I reached into my stash for a scrap of coordinating solid. Some of these solids were thinner than others and didn't cut well with the pinking shears so I wound up using WonderUnder so I could cut them out easier and then use the fusible web to adhere them to the ATC. The pattern envelope image is from the Cosmo Cricket set I bought. Isn't it cute? The 'spool' (from TPC Studios) of thread is stamped on Early Espresso (SU) in Memento Tuxedo black ink. Then I cut it out and wound them with a coordinating color of embroidery floss. The sentiment is also from TCP. I stamped it on twill tape. Because I have a habit of sticking my straight pins in the top of a spool of thread, I thought a ball-head straight pin done the same way was appropriate. The point is stuck behind the spool between the layers so it won't poke anyone. For finishing touches I added a coordinating color and a white button plus a small snap to each one with glue dots.
It was fun playing with these ATCs and they turned out pretty much what I had initially envisioned - which as artists, we know that isn't always the case.