I FINALLY got some play time in the studio on Sunday. Before moving forward on the Altered Playing Card challenge, I wanted to have my alcohol misters done. I am making one for every SU color I own. I have the 30 main colors (or will have once my order comes in next week to replace the 7 retired colors) plus my favorite neutrals - Creamy Caramel (retired but my 'go to' vintage tone) and two other browns.
So here's my supplies: 91% Alcohol, SU reinkers, Ranger Ink mister bottles, funnel, needle nose pliers and these:
With the exception of the misters from RangerInk and the 91% alcohol, my goal is to utilize what I have on hand. I printed labels out on my computer (okay, this one is hand written but I managed to miss typing a label for Real Red somehow) then punched them out using the mini curly label punch. I tried to place the labels at the same point on all of the bottles. By doing this, I could use the bottom edge of the label as my "Fill to Here" mark with the alcohol.
So I labeled the bottles then one at a time, filled them to the mark. After some trial and error I found that approx. 30 drops of the Reinker gave me the truest-to-stamped color.
Some of the reinker bottles were clogged. I used the needle nose pliers to remove the tip then dropped the tip in a little container of plain rubbing alcohol to swirl and soak for a couple minutes. Tip back in place and things worked fine again.
I stamped a heart with each color. This served two purposes. 1 - to give me a visual when matching the ink to alcohol ratio and 2 - for creating little labels on the top of the mister bottle. I used this mini heart punch by Marvy to punch out a color sample and adhered to the top of the matching bottle with a mini glue dot.
In the coming weeks, you'll get a better idea of how this comes together.
In the mean time, check out this VIDEO from Tim Holtz from CHA 2014 on multiple ways to use Alcohol Inks!