Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Magazine Monday - Storm Delay

Yep. Remember that 103 degrees I was battling last week. This week I get storms - and I'm to have 15 people here for a backyard cookout this afternoon. The sky doesn't look any more promising today than it did yesterday.

Anyway... here's the card I had ready to post before the thunder rolled. Last Tuesday I took my weekly stroll through the neighborhood quilt shop and found some fabrics I knew would go great with a 'new' set of stamps I'd recently purchased from a friend on SCS.

About ten years ago (man, has it really been that long since my first swap?!) I was introduced to FRAZZLES. What are 'frazzles'? Well, unlike my nerves at times, they are strips of cotton fabric, frayed on at least 2 sides, usually all four. You cut your fabric to size then begin stripping the threads away one by one until you have the desired width of 'fray' aka FRAZZLED.

This week's inspiration came from designer Rhonda Palmer. Her 'Pastel Daisies Thank You' in the Spring 2006 issue of Paper Creations Magazine gave me the idea to use the frazzles.

Rhonda chose Green Daisy, Blue Daisy and Petal Pink Daisy DP from Scissor Sisters. Her image is matted on Yellow Daisy. She accented with a 3/8" black check grosgrain ribbon and a 3/8" green button.










I used a 5x6.5 So Saffron base. My sunflower fabric was cut to a 2" width then frayed on all four sides to about 1/8" width. My image is from Simple Flowers (SU) and matted on Certainly Celery. I inked only the flower and stems on the mat. The sunflower centers are inked with Black Glaze for a bit of dimension. Then I cut the vase from a pale blue vellum and layered it over to give the water-filled vase effect. Thinking Of You is from Three Little Words (SU) and I accented with 3 green brads.

With all the wonderful fabrics SU has come out with recently, here's one more way for you to combine the fabrics and their coordinating images.

Don't let it FRAZZLE you!






3 comments:

  1. Wow...I'd never heard of frazzels before and now I'm inspired to use all my scraps in a new way. I can't bear to get rid of any fabrics scraps when I so and they lay around my studio in bowls just waiting to be used in a collage or sewn onto an album page. Thanks for the inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TFS! I have lots of frazzle pieces I could use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I'll have to do something like this with the fabric that I have....TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete