Monday, November 14, 2016

MIXED MEDIA MONDAY - Weekly Planner Makeover


I'm back!

This month has been absolutely crazy! Part of the reason is the inspiration for this project. I believe I told you in one of my last posts that I had been given a regular column in a cowboy/ western theme'd magazine called Saddlebag Dispatches. This past weekend I was added to the masthead as Director of Marketing. To help keep track of people I contact and when, I wanted a planner just for Saddlebag stuff... not my main day planner I'll be showing you soon.

I started with this inexpensive weekly planner from Dollar Tree. Normally, I am not a 'weekly' planner person but just for keeping track of who I contact and when.

A couple of weeks ago when Bob and I were in Springfield, I found this Cowgirl slab from Paper House at Hobby Lobby:


You get a sense of the patterns from looking on the cover strip. Lots of yummies plus a couple of cut aparts with sayings on them. I may use some of those on the inside to pretty the pages up but for now I was focusing on creating the cover. I chose these two:


Since this is a 6x6 pad and the planner is 7.25 x 5, I needed to do some piecing for things to fit. I cut the piece on the right in half horizontally, using just the Born & Raised Country.

Then I added pieces from these sheets:


From left to right... the back cover, front cover (both of the remaining two)  

I cut just the swirls from the one on the right to act as accents on the cover. This is what the finished project looks like.


The rose-colored heart paper was cut from an 8.5x11 sheet I've had for ages. The embellishments are from Karen Foster. If you look in the bottom left of the screen you'll see a spot.. That is actually one of these:


I used the brown cowboy hat with the pink band (top center) and cut out a shape to match from a brown scrap from the back cover. I sandwiched lengths of brown and white embroidery floss left over from SU Paper Pumpkin kits between the hat and the matching shape to create a bookmark. I glued the tail onto the spine of the planner before adding the heart paper binding. 

I am not playing a lot until this manuscript is off to my editor.. the same editor who gave me this new job. LOL  Casey and I think alike and have the same work ethic.. nuts LOL

I did get a couple of cards made over the weekend that I'll be showing in future posts. For now, I have a manuscript to edit.

When you leave a comment, tell me what you're working on. I'd love to live vicariously through the rest of you. 

Creative Blessings!






4 comments:

  1. Oh, Kelly, love hearing about what you are doing! Also love how you did your planner. Makes me want to go get that 6x6 pad! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! I do love that paper pad. Will have to pick up another one (or 2) tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. flooring pay weekly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    pay weekly carpets

    ReplyDelete