Monday, March 21, 2016

MIXED MEDIA MONDAY - Tim Holtz March Tag!



Finally made some time this weekend to not only play in the Virtual Stamp Night Challenges at Splitcoast Stampers, but to get my Tim Tag done for March as well.

As you can see, Tim's has vibrant colors. This is the effect of using his new distress crayons. He also used his Butterfly Duo from Sizzix.  I almost purchased this die but then decided against. I had his butterfly die as part of his Alterations butterfly stamp set and I had just bought the MS butterfly punch. I didn't see needing yet another butterfly die of some type. Well, as it turns out his alterations die is just a hair wider than the tag and the MS punch wouldn't go through the thin corrugated cardstock. Grrr.

I also discovered, that SU Watercolor crayons are NOTHING like his Distress Crayons. They just do not 'move' enough to give you the fibrancy Tim achieves with his. I wound up using gelatos, of which all I had were either primary or muted pastels. In place of the butterfly duo, I used 2 different sizes of the primitive hearts of the shapes thinlits set from Sizzix.

My first tag was a total bust. Way too dark and not enough texture. I salvaged the the ribbon and the word band. The rest is all fresh late last night.


Also as you can see in Tim's example, he doesn't use any other embellishment other than the word band. I felt the tag was to blah since my colors were not as vibrant. I embossed metal tape with the Starry Night EB folder then punched out the butterfly from MS punch. I applied some of the same gellato colors to the butterfly that I'd used on the tag.

For my  background paper, I used a blue/ yellow weathered look from the Country Road slab by Paper Studio. I used Tim's Mixed Media die, but mine are more wrought iron than feminine.To pick up the distress ink, black soot from the tag, I added a black teardrop bling to the butterfly body (Studio G).  The word band says Embrace Imperfections... I've been doing that a lot with this tag challenge.

I still haven't spent my GC from Tim to Simon Says. I have a cart full of stuff waiting, but then I found some of the items on clearance at HL last weekend. So I'll be shopping again this week, fine-tuning my purchases. 

Friday, I'll try to do my TH Revisted tag. I also have the En Masse journal bound, covered and ready for collage. I'll be showing you that next Monday. 

Creative Blessings!
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment