Monday, February 13, 2017

MIXED MEDIA MONDAY - Altered Rolodex

I first saw these on Pinterest (I know, surprise, right? LOL)  So I started adding them to my ATC BOARD  The concept is basically the same, just a different vehicle.

The first thing that came to mind was I had a Rolodex that Bob bought at the thrift store then decided not to use. Well, after I moved it to various points in my office a gazillion times, I gave it to my sister who'd been wanting a rolodex for work.

Side note- when she took it to work, none of her co-workers knew what a rolodex was. Ahhh, the generation gap rears it's head again.

Okay, back to topic.  Rolodex has taken on an all new persona thanks to the ever-creative Heidi Swapp. She calls it the Memory Dex. You can read about it HERE. I think, initially she planned for the MemoryDex to be a office version of Project Life. But we all know, everyone sees a product differently. Someone in the artist community thought ATC or short pieces of art that could be easily displayed. And they've taken off from there. They've become mini art journals. To see some amazing pieces, check out CraftyPaws, do a Pinterest search for Rolodex art or check out my ATC board linked above. Incidentally, when I did a google search for Rolodex art or mixed media, CraftyPaws came up more frequently. Shade Tree Art has some great examples,, too.

While we were in Springfield a couple of weeks ago, I found a brand knew Rolodex, still in the box for less than $5.


The box came with about 15 cards behind each letter of the alphabet. I'm thinking of using the Alphabet Challenge at Splitcoast Stampers as a jumping off point and create each card to correspond with the letter. I've been away from the board for awhile so I'll need some catch-up time there. So for this week, I'm starting with the letter R and my word for the year, which is RESET. Here's my first MemoryDex journaling card:


I'm hitting the reset button on various aspects of my life this year. One is to take more time for me and the other is to make more time for Creativity and my Spiritual practice. I have become a serious workaholic. 

I used:
Recollections Red Cardstock
Circle Stitched Framelit (Stampin' Up)
Gelatos - Red
Stamps from InkaDinkaDo (Special Thoughts set)
Studio G Alpha Set.
Memento Black ink
Perma Pen Black ink

I've become a fan of grid paper. I used a piece today to help center the word RESET on the stitched circle:


Thanks for your patience today. While you create, I'm off to baby a head cold. 
Creative Blessings!
Kelly


2 comments:

  1. WOW, I'm so honored to be linked from your blog! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you have loads of fun with this! xoxo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kristina. Sorry I didn't get my card finished and loaded before your visit. Creative Blessings

      Delete