Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Sweethaven Challenge

Last week I linked you to the Sweethaven blog by author Courtney Walsh.  Courtney has an awesome challenge for us to create some type of layout in the media of our choice that reflects something from the Sweethaven series.  The details of the challenge and list of prizes can be found HERE.

Here's what I came up with:


The Sweethaven series is about friendships. Though separated for many years, there are some bonds that can not be broken. You truly are friends for life. Friends, like soulmates are as the quote says... 'A true soulmate is a mirror. The person who shows you everything that is holding you back... The person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life." ~ Elizabeth Gilbert

Soulmates doesn't have to mean a lover or husband, though they can be. They are the person who we really connect with on a much deeper level.

The base was created on a piece of canvas board. I applied a layer of white gesso, then got out the paint! I chose FolkArt Red Violet, and Sweetheart Pink. I put 3 or 4 quarter-sized drops of each color in various places on the canvas then spread it around with my fingers. LOVE the feel of paint. While it was still wet, I used the swirls and heart wheel from Stampin Up to run a little texture on the one side. The papers are from DCWV Once Upon A Time (My FAVORITE DCWV slab) and a piece of lavender paper from my scrap drawer. I tore the edges then inked them up a bit.

I printed the quote on vellum then sprayed it with a clear fixative and let it dry over night. Then I tore and distressed the edges a bit. The edges refuse to lay down. They only curled up worse when I tried to put a gel medium wash over the whole thing. So I'm letting them curl, giving the whole thing a bit of texture.

The metal tag in the bottom corner is from K & Co. It says 'Together is a wonderful place to be'. I balanced it with a copper and wire heart I'd stitched several years ago. The stash drawer is a wonderful place to play! The tags down either side say SOUL and MATE and are anchored with Ranger Stickles in deep purple.

Win or lose, I enjoyed creating my very first full piece of mixed media art. Now to figure out where to display it! LOL

Creative Blessings!

5 comments:

  1. Wowzers! This is just fantabulous! Love all the textures and all the different items really all work together. I think the curling edges of the vellum are just perfect - glad you couldn't get them to lay flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie. Yeah, I'm liking the curling thing. Now to decide where to display it. I have NO wall/ shelf space.

      Delete
  2. Nice work, Kelly! I love the story that you told in your post; your artwork is so beautiful, too. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Renee. I really liked doing this project and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just beautiful, Kelly! Thank you so much for joining in the challenge. I LOVE that quote, and hadn't heard it before! :)

    ReplyDelete