Saturday, February 28, 2015

FRIDAY FREEBIE - The Build Part 8


To see a  larger version, click on the picture. 


Welcome to the Creative Dreams Studio. Sorry this is a day late. After I turned in my article yesterday I went into 'relax' mode. So let's talk space.

I have 16' x 30' to work with.  You enter the studio from off the dining room (North Wall) (See door opening on right side of graph)

Before I take you on a tour, let me explain some of my markings. The ORANGE dots denote approximate placement of the recessed light fictures. That Wagon Wheel looking spot over the sewing island is the ceiling fan /w light.  The RED Xs and Squares denote either outlets or switches throughout the room. As I type this, I realize I've mismarked outlets and switches. I probably should have had at least one full cup of coffee before re-drawing this floor plan this morning. LOL However, we do have switches and plug-ins placed around the room to match the specific task areas. The two red Xs within the confines of the sewing island are actually in the floor. 

So let's tour the room. Turn right when you enter the studio. That big cabinet is the repurposed entertainment center I currently have in the basement. This holds my loose block stamps, embellishments and will go through some modifications to become my Project Life station.

Circle around to the left, (WEST wall) I have a spacious work area below that 36x36 window. Air and natural light to craft by! The TV/ VCR/ DVD will be to my left so I can watch movies or follow along on many of my art videos. The island that stretches out from that will be my cutting/ embossing area - holding my Cricut and Vagabond. I plan to have shelves underneath. On the studio side they will hold all of my slabs. On the side facing out into the room I will store my mixed media/ art journaling books. At the end of that cutting area I will have my ScrapRack.

Okay, backing out of the craft area, we'll continue along that same wall. Three tall bookshelves flank the sofa and that 48x48 window. The windowsill will be built out to hide a compartment behind the sofa (think tall window seat with storage). I will keep the bedding for the sofabed in those shrink bags and stored here. 

Although it does not look like I have much room between the front of the sofa and my large sewing island, that big island is on casters and rolls easily. I am looking forward to having this surface to work on again. Plenty of room to lay out mixed media items to dry or cut fabric. 

Past those last three book cases you turn to the left again. (SOUTH Wall) That bare space on the wall is designated for hanging a LARGE picture quilt I made years ago. The original quilt is 10x10 so once I'm in the studio I'll have to figure out how to deconstruct the quilt down to a size that will fit that space WITHOUT losing any of the precious signatures I have. In front of that wall space is where my vintage singer sewing cabinet will be placed. I want to put my simple brother machine in the cabinet so it is handy for straight stitching on either fabric or paper.

The AC/ Heating unit is in the wall up above the row of 3-shelf book cases that connect to my desk. My vintage vanity - turned - desk sits under the window.  To the left of that, coming around (EAST wall)  is a large 6-drawer dresser I bought at auction. The top is perfect for the printer and laying out manuscript pages in progress.

At the end of the dresser, I'll have a lateral filing cabinet. The top of which is where I will display my Denver Broncos collection including an autographed ball from John Elway and a poster of him my daughter got me for my birthday eons ago. I've always wanted a lateral filing cabinet. No trying to reach into the very back for files and I am still a hard copy person when it comes to research.

Another tall book case then my vintage wardrobe for housing my spiritual items. I am still looking for a low table to go below that window. On the left side of that window as we get closer to the doorway again... I have an old rubber stamp display shelving unit my friend, Carla Bazenhow, rescued from me years ago when Michaels changed their display out. The shelving has adjustable glass shelves. This will be my paint storage. All of my Folk Art paints and their coordinating misters. A 2-drawer filing cabinet will fit in the base to store glue, gesso, and other mixed media mediums.

Next to that will be my 8-drawer cabinet that I use to store my SU 12x12. I'll have room on top for my 8.5x11 SU Cardstock and my 12x12 DP collections. Above the cabinet, I want to put a shelf to store the altered books where I keep my SU embellishments. 

Last on that wall is my 2-door Mixed Media art cabinet. I like how I have this cabinet arranged right now but think some things will change.

One last thing - a shelf will go all around the room on top of the book cases. Over the Mixed Media and SU cabinet, I will keep my retired SU catalogs. I will also have the space to display my Girl Scout memorabilia. A section of the shelf over the long wall of book cases (sofa wall) is where I will put my Antique/ Vintage book collection.

So there you go. Although it seems like a large space, this is both an office and a studio. A place to be creative, to enjoy items I currently have in storage and to get work done! Everything will be in one spot. When I need to take a stretch break from the computer, I can apply a coat of gesso or mod podge to a project in progress. Or curl up on the sofa while I listen to the newest CD I am reviewing, without having to sit at the desk. 

And anyone is welcome to come play once it is finished :-)
Creative Blessings!
Kelly


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I want to come play, when it is done! This is going to be amazing, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous Kelly. I know this is going to be such a blessing to you for all your creativity. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete