Sunday, April 29, 2018

SYMPATHY SUNDAY

If you've popped in within the past hour, you may have noticed only a partial post. I was in the middle of one over at my Stampin' UP! site and realized I needed to put a portion of that info on this blog instead. So here we go!

Beginning this week, I will use one Sunday per month to focus on Sympathy cards. While we don't like to need them, as my 'old soul' granddaughter will tell you, it's part of the circle of life.

NOTE: To see the first two cards in this set, please go to my Stampin' UP! blog HERE
Sadly, this past week I needed four of them. They were all in regards to the same person but because the kids no longer live at home, I wanted to send one to each of them as well as his wife.
Ron Booth was a character. We didn't always get along but when it came to my caring for his children, he knew I was the best. One time when the youngest decided to run away from home (she was 6), he called me. Last words she uttered as she stormed out the door - "I'm going to my Kelly. She loves me."  You see, these kids were family. We loved all three equally but held a special bond with one.

We practically raised the youngest. She'd been in my daycare since the age of 7 weeks... and most weekends, never went home. She'd fuss and whine about going home each night but when Friday rolled around, she somehow managed to stay the weekend. When Bob asked her what she wanted for her 5th birthday, she told him she wanted her own room. She got one, of sorts. One Halloween, she was dressed as a bride. I think she was 5 or 6. When they stopped by the house to show us their costumes, Bob took a play ring I had in the children's dress-up corner, knelt and put it on her finger.  Later, in the second grade, the kids each got to be Student of the Week. They were to bring pictures to display on the classroom door, depicting their life. The 'proposal' picture was smack dab in the center of the grouping. 

She has always been our Peaches.... but more importantly, she was her daddy's 'Pooh Bear'. So this first card is for my Peaches.


I was inspired by THIS  Pin from OCDcardLady on her etsy shop.

I used a retired set from Stampin' UP! called Love and Sympathy.

The DSP is from a suite retiring the end of May called Petal Garden:


Petal Garden Designer Series Paper Stack
144168    Price$10.00

RECIPE:
Card base - Sweet Sugar Plum
Background Mat - Petal Garden
Image Mat - Very Vanilla

Flower stamped in Rich Razzleberry and Old Olive
Sentiment stamped in Versa Mark then embossed in Gold.

Sentiment mat punched from Very Vanilla and Sweet Sugar Plum with the:


Everyday Label Punch
144668   Price$18.00


To make the mat base, cut the sweet sugar plum label in 1/2 then position each piece just beyond the sentiment mat. I then added dimensionals. 

The bow is from my ribbon stash and the pearls are retired SU.

Card number two is for Ron's oldest daughter, Jessica. I loved the peach tones from Petal Garden for one of the sweetest young women I know on the planet. She's gone from short of despising her youngest sister when Kassie was small to now sharing a house with her. They do sister vacations and all kinds of things together - best friends. 

The only time I babysat Jessica (as well as their brother Vinnie) was when the kids were sick. I would keep them through the whole 'sickness' phase so Josie didn't have to miss work. Kassie especially always wanted me to take care of her. The day she had her tonsils out, she asked her mom if they could stop and pick me up so I could be there, too. Yep.. they are my extended family for sure.

While Kassie was my mini-me, Jessica always wanted to come to my house to craft. She loved coming in the door with an idea, knowing my knowledge and craft room stash would see her project to completion.

So this is the card I made for Jessica:


RECIPE:
Card Base - Calypso Coral
Background - Petal Garden
Floral Mat - Pear Pizzazz - 3-1/8" x 4-1/8"
Floral - Whisper White - 4" x 3"
Ribbon - Pear Pizzazz
Pearls - retired SU

Sentiment punched from Pear Pizzazz and Whisper White using the decorative label punch (retired SU)

Floral Image stamped in Calypso Coral, Pear Pizzazz and Memento Black - 2 step stamping method
Sentiment stamped in VersaMark then heat embossed with gold. 

My soul aches for this family's loss and wish I could be there for them, but these cards will let them know they are in our hearts and our prayers. 
There will be a celebration of life for Ron in May and I'm hoping to travel up to be with them. 

Creative Blessings!




No comments:

Post a Comment