Thursday, July 27, 2023

CREATOR'S CORNER - Ardyth

 Good morning, everyone!

I've been inspired by today's guest for a couple of years now.  I love how she offers a tip in each of her videos. She is also the reason I got inspired by the stencil wheel from Penguin Palace. Check out their videos on their YouTube Channel


Here's a bit about Ardyth:
Ardyth is a cardmaker from Toronto, Canada. She loves clean design and bold colours, and especially enjoys getting more from all her crafty supplies by using them in unexpected ways to create something completely different!

Let's step inside her studio before we learn more about Ardyth.


Notice all the essential tools at her finger tips and that natural light!

What got you started on the creative path?

I started card making at a Stampin’ Up! Party in 2006. I love the idea of a small project that makes me happy, and can be shared to bring happiness to someone else! 

How has your creativity evolved?

When I started, I wanted to try it all! Over time, I’ve figured out what my style is, and I’m more selective in what I buy. I notice that I’ve moved from cards that were primarily stamping/colouring to messier background techniques (stencil, gel plate etc) with die-cut sentiments. Maybe that will change again….



What do you enjoy most about your creative path?

I love that feeling I get when a project turns out even better than my expectations. I love that there’s always something new to learn, whether it’s new products or skills. And of course, I love all the crafty friends I’ve made through the years.

What inspires you?

I get my inspiration pretty much anywhere. I love to work with bold colours and geometrics, and while I love lots of white space, I’m pretty happy to use messy techniques as well.Rather than rushing to purchase new products, I love to 'get the look' of any inspiration, using products I already have. I developed a simple, 5-step LIMES method to help analyze an inspiration piece and then translate it into something completely unique. It's easy to remember, easy to use and easy to create something that is beautifully your own!



When did you move from hobby to business and what initiated the transition?

For me the transition was very slow and organic. I was more focused on expanding my skills when I started my YouTube channel in 2017, and that’s grown to become a revenue generator, as well as a good resume, for anyone who is looking to work with me.


What do you love most about your space and would you change anything?

I’m lucky to have a small ‘extra’ bedroom as my craft space. Over the years it has changed as the products I needed to store changed (remember wooden stamps?!) or different functionality (I do all my card photography and YouTube video editing in it as well!) and I love how adaptable it has been with minimal changes in furnishing. The only thing I would change is better air conditioning in the summer!



What 3 things do you feel are important when planning a space?

This is a hard one for me - I’ve been in my room for so long and it’s evolved slowly over the years - most of what I have is ‘leftover’ furniture from other areas of the house, with a desk, and a couple of extra pieces specifically purchased for a crafty space.

* Know what you’ve got, and what you use most.

* Keep containers/furniture flexible when you can, so that they can serve multiple uses and last as trends change. 

* Invest in the basic tools that you’ll use for years - ‘trendy’ tools like stencils, stamps and dies will come and go, but trimmers, stamp positioners, die cutting machines are things you only want to have to purchase once so quality is key.

What is your best organization tip?

Know what works for you - some of us like things to be visible, some like them put away and out of sight, some don’t need to be organized at all, they just ‘know’ where everything is.

I’m someone who likes to have a place for everything, but I also like it to be visible, so I have lots of open shelves and cubbies. If I can’t see it, I’ll forget to use it. But if it’s not put away, I start to feel claustrophobic and not at all creative.


What is your best tip for anyone wanting to turn their craft into a business?

Be yourself in this industry, you are the brand you’re trying to sell and if you’re authentic, you’ll find your customers.

Don’t be afraid to invest in the learning you need to do it well - there are so many resources available to coach you in designing and producing a product or service, marketing and delivering those products, and also the back-end - including the financial part of running a business. Finding help can reduce frustration and shorten the time to success!

Great tips and advice, Ardyth. Thank you so much for joining me this month. It's been a pleasure sharing your talent with my followers. 

Hey folks, be sure to check out Ardyth's links down below and LIKE/ FOLLOW. 

WEBSITE   FACEBOOK   YouTube   IG   

FREE RESOURCES

Creative Blessings!

~Kelly




No comments:

Post a Comment