Thursday, September 21, 2023

CREATOR'S CORNER - Justine Hovey

 Good morning, crafty friends!

I have a special treat today. I've watched this young lady on YouTube for several years. When I saw her recent accomplishment,  I knew I had to invite her to join us.

Justine Hovey is another artist I've featured who has worked her way up the ranks to create her own stamp line. She sells through Craft Stash.


Here's a bit about, Justine:

My name is Justine Hovey and I have been a cardmaker in the papercrafting industry for over 15 years. As a content creator, crafter and teacher, I love combining my passion for creating with my passion for teaching. Over the years I have been on many design teams and moved into creating papercrafting courses that solve all the common crafter needs. I love showing new techniques over on YouTube and creating beautiful cards using my favorite techniques: embossing and foiling. Additionally, I am one of the founders of the Paper Crafters Get Organized Summit and the Stress Free Cardmaking Summit. In my free time, I enjoy taking my dog for walks, reading, travelling and spending time with my family.

Let's take a look inside Justine's studio:


Beautifully organized Scrapbox!

What got you started on the creative path?

My cousin showed me a scrapbook she was making when her baby was born and that sparked my interest in the papercrafting world. It was such an amazing moment to realize there are ways of being creative without possessing fine art skills. This was exactly what I was looking for.

How has your creativity evolved?

I started with scrapbooking and tried and learned every technique I could possibly find. Scrapbooks take a very long time to create though so cardmaking naturally took over and I eventually settled on a clean and simple style.

What do you enjoy most about your creative path?

I love how much I can learn. I love finding as many ways as possible to use supplies and challenging myself to create with what I have. My creativity has also been able to grow as a content creator in video editing, photography, graphic design, marketing and event planning. It’s been quite a journey!


What inspires you?

My supplies inspire me. I don’t search the internet often for ideas on what to make, I usually pick up a supply from my stash and take it from there.

When did you move from hobby to business and what initiated the transition?

I think a business aspect has always been a part of the journey since I signed up really early to be a Close to my Heart consultant. I did this mainly for the discount because I didn’t have access to supplies in my hometown. I started blogging and making videos around 2013, design teams followed shortly, course creation and much more. I’ve always enjoyed collaborating with other crafters as well and trying to give them opportunities I wish I had when I first started.

What do you love most about your space and would you change anything?

My space at the moment isn’t ideal. Since home office took over, my space moved to the hallway and I got the Brand Box. I do love it but I don’t feel that my space is very personal like it used to be when I picked all my furniture, had inspirational decoration and used a lot of wall space. I love that everything has a place and if I could change anything, I would love to have a little bit more space. I love that the small space challenges me though, makes me really think about what I buy and forces me to clean up when I’m done.

What 3 things do you feel are important when planning a space?

It’s important to get furniture and storage that fits your supplies! I’ve had about 7 craft spaces since I move a lot and I always pre-plan. What will go where, what will fit in which organizer. Things you use most should be closest to you. Make your space your own and personalize it. Add your artwork to the walls, invest in things that make it pretty and make your space unique and special to you.

What is your best organization tip?

It’s a pretty specific one but I love my ink refill storage. The issue with refills is you don’t need them often and they are often stored upright in a box so you can’t see the labels. I numbered the bottoms of my ink pads and I numbered the tops of the refill bottles with the same number as the matching ink pad. I can find them easily when I need them. 

What is your best tip for anyone wanting to turn their craft into a business?

There are a lot of cardmaking and craft businesses out there but YOU are unique. What are you bringing to the table that’s different – a technique you’re an expert on? A way of explaining things? A bubbly personality? Whatever it is, hone in on that and stay true to it. I also spent years watching channels and bloggers that were larger than me and I tried to follow their journey. Turns out the majority of us are just experimenting and winging it and what you think makes them successful might not work for you. Enjoy the process, not the end goal. Stay consistent. Believe in yourself and your ability. And don’t be afraid to take courses and invest in yourself professionally.

Thank you for joining us in the studio today, Justine. Let's share how everyone can find you!

WEBSITE    YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM   

I'll be back tomorrow with a photo-loaded post and a video catch up! Be sure to join me on my YouTube Channel at 11:30 a.m. EST for a premiere video where we can chat!

Creative Blessings!

~ Kelly

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment