Thursday, January 26, 2023

CREATOR'S CORNER - Gayle Agostinelli

Good morning, friends!

If you work in mixed media or make junk journals, then you are probably familiar with today's guest. 


Gayle Agostinelli

Gayle is one of the most creative ladies that I follow on YouTube. I think one of her favorite things to work with are 'make aheads'. These are basic items you can make up ahead of time to either just pop into a journal as needed or, with a little extra embellishments, can be tailor-made to a specific project.  Let's hear from Gayle!

In 2016, my business transitioned from a bricks and mortar vintage shop, CinnamonT, to an online Etsy shop, CinnamonT.  I began my YouTube channel at the same time to share mixed media and junk journal making videos.  My guiding principal with my YouTube was to share kindness as well as creativity.

Gayle has such a sweet voice, highlighting her 'kindness'. 

Here's one shot of Gayle's studio:



Welcome, Gayle!

1 – What got you started on the creative path?

I’ve always created for as long as I can remember.  I did the usual kid art, drawing , cutting snowflakes and making clothes for my Barbies.  My parents always praised and showcased my creations.  I loved having their approval of what I was making!

2 – How has your creativity evolved?

I did decoupage and wood burning as a teenager.  Then crocheting and quilt making as a young adult.  I made my kids’ clothes as they were growing up.  I tried scrapbooking my kid’s photos, but it was too precise for me and I gave it up.  After the kids left home, I began jewelry making and mixed media art.  When I first saw junk journals on YouTube, I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy it (remembering my failed attempt at scrapbooking), but what I found was I could incorporate every craft I ever done into the making of journals.  I love it!

3 – What do you enjoy most about your creative path?

I’d have to say I enjoy the incredible community of creatives that I’ve discovered through my YouTube channel.  They are my friends and my crafting buddies!  I didn’t realize when I first started my channel how incredibly important they would become in my life.

4 – What inspires you? 

That’s a tough one as SO many things inspire me!  The world around me inspires me.  Nature inspires me.  Funny story…I used the restroom at my hairdresser’s and the wallpaper was incredible hues of purple and grey.  I went straight home and took out my gelli plate to make some prints with the color combination in the wallpaper!  There is inspiration everywhere, if we are open to seeing it!

5 – When did you move from hobby to business and what initiated the transition?

As mentioned in my bio, 2016 was the year I went online.  I retired from my career in 2016.  When space and time open in your life, there is room for something wonderful to come in.  For me, it was time to devote to my art full time.  When my husband looked at all the mixed media canvases and journals I was making and said in dismay, “are we going to have these all over the house?”, I decided I’d better open an Etsy shop and sell my work!

6 – What do you love most about your space and would you change anything?

I just rearranged my craft room to have my journal making area under a window and have the space to pull everything I need during a video close to me.  Best thing I’ve ever done!  I also have a separate filming area for mixed media.  I love having the two areas to film!  I can leave the mixed media area all painty and messy without the possibility of ruining one of my journals.  My craft room is my happy place and, yes, I love it!


7 – What 3 things do you feel are important when planning a space?

1.      A place for everything and everything in it’s place.  I can’t create with chaos around me.

2.     Having what you need as close at hand as possible.

3.     Having good storage containers such as project boxes, project cart, bins, shelves, rolling carts, etc.  With good storage options, keeping like with like is so much easier.

8 – What is your best organization tip?

Tidy up often.  I tidy my work space at the end of every crafting session.  And I do a major tidy and sort after I complete a project.  I love to start every day’s work with a clean slate of a tidy work space!  I also put things away as I’m working, so my work space doesn’t get out of control.

9 – What is your best tip for anyone wanting to turn their craft into a business?

Work hard and be yourself.  It takes time and effort to create a successful business of any kind.  If you begin an online business, give it time to grow and don’t give up because it doesn’t happen overnight.  Engage in others’ online presence to support and learn from them.  Put your good energy out in the world and good things will come back to you.

Thank you, Gayle, for joining me in Creator's Corner today. You are always a pleasure. 

For a complete walk-through of Gayle's studio and her methods for organization, check out this pair of videos: 

Part One - the tour:


Part Two - at arm's length (within reach):


You can catch up with Gayle by clicking on any of the links below:



Please remember to check out those links and subscribe to her channels. You'll love the content!

Creative Blessings!
~ Kelly


 







 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment